How To Identify Chicken That Are Ready To lay
The following guide will be useful in accessing (Identifying) the readiness of birds(Point -Of-lay)
- Well developed turgid and red comb
- Uniform body weight
- Bright and full eyes
- The vent will allow about 2 finger-breadth
The following practice should therefore be carried out before moving the birds to cage
- De-worm the growers to ensure they do not carry heavy worm burden to the cage
- Check for lice. If there is any, perform delousing operation with any available lice powder. Your Vetenarian will prescribe the best available lice powder for you.
note: that lice infestation will cause irritation, disturbance and loss of nutrients to the birds which will in turn affect the production
Layers House Dis-infection
- Prepare layers house far ahead of birds transfer by removing all droppings, cleaning cages and wire netting to ensure good aeration
- Set traps or use rodenticides to eliminate rodents, like rats and lizards from cracks and poles supporting layer houses
- Seal the whole house during dis-infection so that the effect can last a while to enable germs to die.This exercise must be done 2 to 3 times before new birds are transferred to the house. The last operation must be done at least 2 weeks before birds are transferred
Moving Point Of Lay To Cage
- Prepare the birds for cage by removing feed for two to three hours but continue with anti-stress in water
- Make ready a clean and well dis-infected truck for the transfer. The transfer must be done late in the evening or at night so that it would be easier to catch the birds. While catching the birds, seize the opportunity to count at both end as a form of stock taking
- The vehicle must be in good condition with all seats removed to prevent birds from getting trapped. All protruding wires or sharp edges that can injure the birds must be removed.
- Birds must be properly handled and the best place to catch them is the shank. The flock should be moved to the laying houses as quickly as possible with no delays.
In tropics, especially during hot periods, keep the truck side open for adequate ventilation. However, the side of the truck must partially closed during cold weather
Remove the birds from the crates by holding both shanks and gently introduce them into the cells. Most cage cell will accommodate two to three birds. When transfer is done at an early age-When body weight has not reach the target- Stock at higher density per cell with aim of reducing the number later.